Addicted to...

I had an interesting conversation about long-distance love with my best friend Takako the other day. We coincidentally and accidentally have experienced a relationship with a man living in a different country about 10 years ago. Her partner was in London and mine in Oakland, CA. Either of our relationships didn't work out at the end but we were like comrades supporting each other to survive the tough time for almost 6 years.

At the time, what we had was telephone, email and chat on the internet. But dial-up access was still main that chatting on the internet wasn't really an option. Telephone or email for most of time. 10 years later, we now have Skype to chat with someone living apart for free seeing their faces. Technology certainly helps lovers living apart now. We wish we had it back then, really...

Takako asked me if I would do it again. I answered, " Oh yes, if I got myself involved with someone living in a different country." She said she wouldn't even if it's become much easier to communicate with someone apart than it was 10 years ago. I understand why. Distance often gives you fears of losing your partner no matter how much you are in love with each other. Then you end up loving your partner more because of not having him/her by your side all the time. Takako quit her work, packed everything up and bravely took a challenge to put her life in her partner's hand in London. Whereas my partner left the States to start a new life with me in Japan.

Then Takako jokingly said, "Hey, are you addicted to the long-distance relationship, Miki?" I said, "No way!" But wait, maybe I am because I experienced it twice in 3-4 years back then. The first one was with an Aussie guy who went back to his hometown a few months after we started seeing each other. He wanted to marry me but I didn't. I just didn't see it real living in Brisbane as his wife. Distance eventually became my friend that helped me convince him I'm not coming to Brisbane. And the 2nd one was with my ex-husband I mention above.

I don't know why but I'm not afraid of long-distance love at all. Takako advises me, "Generally speaking, people would not like it. They would get scared and possibly give up before anything starts. Better remember this. And next time you fall for someone who lives in a different country, you got to find out first if he is brave enough to take that risk." Thanks, Takako. Good advice, really.

But I have this strange feeling that I would again fall for a guy living in a different country... I might be addicted to the thrill of being tested while we are apart. Pervert? Possibly ;)


コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

フランスのラッパーNinhoさんがスゴい

字幕ソフトに泣かされた夜

鄧倫くんは演技がお上手!