Jacaranda voice

It's sometimes interesting and inspiring to work with music magazine people. When I was chatting with my coworkers in my office a couple of weeks ago, Miyoshi suddenly started talking about a kind of human voice he named "Jacaranda voice." Jacaranda is also called Brazilian Rosewood which was often used for acoustic guitars. It has become a rare wood material that acoustic guitars built with Jacaranda wood are extremely expensive these days. As I don't play the guitar, I don't know how it sounds and how it is different from others. But the word "Jacaranda" just hit me. If he said Brazilian Rosewood, I wouldn't be interested in it. I don't know why but the sound of that particular word sounded very interesting.

Miyoshi mentioned a couple of Japanese actors' names to explain what voice he uses Jacaranda for and they are Akira Nakao and Toru Emori. His definition of Jacaranda voice is a mixture of low, deep, fat sound with a sharp edge to it. What's more interesting is that not many young men have that sort of quality in their voices. They are usually higher, brighter and thinner, which obviously show their vitality and sharpness. It seems that more men at his middle or senior age have that tone. The first man popped up in my mind is Roland Orzabal from Tears For Fears. Miyoshi agrees with me and says that there is a fine line between a voice with Jacaranda tone and a low-pitched voice.

I basically feel more comfortable to hear lower-pitched voices than higher-pitched ones. I don't care much about his/her voice when having an interview with someone because I focus more on what he/she says than how he/she sounds. And the sound itself disappears in the air right after it comes out of the lips. But the afterglow varies between individuals and so do recorded voices. I sometimes find a certain voice sounds different from what I have heard at the interview when translating it. Probably it's because the information I receive is different.

At face to face interviews, you see and hear interviewees at the same time that gives you more information than just focusing on their voices to translate. Of course, some of their expressions during the interview stay in my mind and a certain tone of their voices triggers them while translating but it is more like recreating what I have seen in my head, not exactly the same as I actually saw.

At phoners, you only hear the interviewees' voices, which makes you sensitive to different tones of their voices. You can eventually tell how much the interviewee is into what you are talking. You may even tell how his/her expression is like even though you don't see him/her. I always find it interesting that voices are very expressive when it comes to phoners. And the manner of breathing also tells a lot in this case. It's pretty difficult to cheat the phoner experts, my friends!

Let me know if you find an interesting definition for voices such as Birch voice or Mahogany voice or possibly Fender Rhodes voice...

Oh, by the way, Bjork means birch in Icelandic - she told me so years ago - so her voice can be literally Birch Voice??? :)

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

フランスのラッパーNinhoさんがスゴい

字幕ソフトに泣かされた夜

鄧倫くんは演技がお上手!